In the grounds of a wonderful 80 acre estate this beautiful luxury hotel located between Tuscany and Umbria, just 25km from the city of Perugia, offers the ideal base to explore these two celebrated wine regions.
Under the direction of your professional and knowledgeable guides, you will immerse yourself in Italian life to sample the world renowned wine produced in the area.
On a self drive tour you will be visiting Montepeluciano, Montefalco, Bevagna and Torigano to meet your English speaking wine guides who will give you a diverse range of wines to taste and discover including in the legendary Giorgio Lungarotti wine museum and the numerous osterie. Please note that if you don’t wish to drive yourself you may book a driver for an extra charge.
The aim of the course is to give you the skills to recognise and enjoy the complexity of Italian wines from these two regions, to understand the method and history of the production process and to be able to match the wine with delicious food.
On two of the evenings you will savour the refined regional cuisine, while enjoying an a la carte menu on the first night and seasonal menu on the second, as proposed by the Chef at the restaurant. As the owners of the Villa began their passionate research and selection of exclusively Umbrian produced wines in 1989, you will also have an incredible choice of wines to accompany your meal.
This is a wonderful introduction to central Italy’s rich culture of wine and food set in the beautiful surroundings, a must for any wine enthusiast.
- Suitable for all levels from complete beginners to experienced wine enthusiasts
- Your guides are Italian but speak perfect English
- Please note that this is a self drive tour so car hire is necessary, if you do not wish to drive yourself you can add a driver option to the package for an extra fee
- Please note that courses only run with a minimum of 2 people, if you are travelling solo, it may be possible to pay a small single supplement and join other groups, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0844 502 0445 with your preferred date and we’ll get back to you quickly with a price and availability
- Minimum age: 18
Italian Wine Tasting Holiday Start Days
- This Italian wine tasting holiday runs on set dates year round
- Arrivals can be on every day of the week except Friday
- If this course appears ‘on request’ we can usually accommodate your requirements, to check availability, email us on email@example.com or call us on 08445 020445 with your preferred dates and someone will get back to you very quickly
Italian Wine Tasting Holiday Itinerary
Day 1 –Arrival Day
- Arrival at the Villa with a welcome drink and presentation of the programme
- In the evening you will enjoy a 3 course à la carte dinner at the hotel’s fine dining restaurant
Day 2 –Wine tour
Please note that this is a self drive tour so car hire is necessary, if you do not wish to drive yourself you can add a driver option to the package for an extra fee.
- Visit the beautiful renaissance town of Montepulciano with wine tasting in a famous cellar with Vino Nobile and local produce to sample
- A short drive to Pienza to visit the town built under the inspiration of Pope Pius II
- Take the opportunity to shop for pecorino cheese, wild-boar salami and other traditional produce
- In the evening savour from the refined regional cuisine, while enjoying a 4 course seasonal menu as proposed by the Chef at the Villa’s restaurant
Day 3 –Dedicated to great Umbrian wines
- After breakfast drive to Torgiano and visit the Lungarotti Foundation’s wine museum
- Enjoy a wine tasting in the Osteria del Museo
- In the afternoon it is recommended that you explore Montefalco, home to the famous Sagrantino red wine
- Or visit the medieval Etruscan town Bevagna to buy some of the local produce such as Sagrantino ‘secco’ and ‘passito’
Day 4 – Departure day
- Enjoy breakfast at the beautiful Villa before checking out of the hotel
What Will I Learn?
- Skills to recognise and enjoy the complexity of Italian wines
- To understand the methods and history of the production process
- To match the wine with delicious food
- On your tours of Montepeluciano and Torgiano you will sample delicious wine from the Umbrian and Tuscan regions
- You'll stay in a well appointed twin or double room in the hotel
- Check in anytime after 2pm on your arrival day and check out by 11am on your departure day
- The beautiful hotel offers every comfort of a modern and luxurious hotel
- There are a total of 25 guest rooms allocated across 5 buildings either in the main house, the villa, the Limonaia, Casa dei Gelsi or Olivaia
- Part of the property was once a 17th century farm comprised of two buildings, Casa dei Gelsi and Olivaia both are only 185m from the Villa
- Guests staying in one of these two buildings take their breakfast in the house and have their own swimming pool
- The accommodation offers use of the Spa, tennis courts or the two swimming pools for all guests
- For your culinary enjoyment there is a fine dining restaurant with an excellent wine cellar
- Singles can book a room for sole occupancy for a supplement
- Breakfast is included each day
- A gourmet welcome dinner is included on your arrival day and also the second evening of your stay in the hotel’s fine dining restaurant
- Sample menus for the dinners are below
Sample Italian Menus At The Restaurant
Dishes vary according to the season and what food is available but may include:
- Pecorino potage with Black truffle and Swiss chard croutons
- Artichoke tart with corn salad and mint oil
- Wild Boar goulash with gratinated polenta and chicory
- Umbrian Pork liver with Vino Santo and onions
- Dark chocolate cake with pear and mandarin
- Ricotta gnudi with cherry tomatoes and pesto sauce
- An excellent selection of local wines are carefully chosen to accompany each dish from the hotel’s comprehensive wine cellar
- Dietary requests can be catered for including vegetarians if advised at the time of booking
Other Courses In Umbria
- If this Umbrian wine tasting holiday whets your appetite for all things Italian, other courses are also on offer, including cooking, chocolate and truffle hunting, please follow this link to more courses at this school or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Go learn to appreciate the wonderful wines from the north of Italy near Umbria, pursue your passion for wine and delicious food and discover all this region has to offer on a wine tasting holiday with a difference.