Enjoy a hands-on French cooking course with Chef Jean-Marc Villard in the professional teaching kitchen he built in his garden in Champagne au Mont d’Or, just 15 minutes from the center of Lyon.
Taught by an award winning Chef with over 30 cooking experience including time spent at both one and three star Michelin restaurants, you’ll be assured the highest level of tuition in a fun and friendly environment.
Despite Jean-Marc’s cooking excellence, there’s nothing intimidating about the cooking lessons and the aim of the course is to give you the skills and techniques to cook a great French 3 course menu, all in a warm and welcoming environment.
All ingredients used are locally produced and sourced by Jean-Marc but Chef always ensure they are ones that you can also buy back home so dishes can be easily recreated.
Go learn to cook delicious French dishes under the guidance of Chef Jean-Marc, immerse yourself in French life and discover the gastronomic delights of Lyon for yourself.
- Suitable for all levels from complete beginners to experienced foodies
- Your hosts are French but Chef Jean-Marc speaks excellent English
- Minimum age: 14 (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult)
- Classes run for a minimum of 2 persons, if you are travelling solo and want to join a class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to check availability
French Cookery Holiday Start Days
- This French cooking course in Lyon runs Tuesday – Sunday year round
- Classes start at either 9.30am or 4.30pm and last around 4 hours
- Morning classes will focus on cooking lunch and afternoon classes will focus on dinner where you’ll always sit down to eat the delicious food you’ve cooked on the terrace (weather permitting)
French Cooking Course Itinerary
- On arrival at Chef Jean Marc’s private home, enjoy a welcome tea or coffee before you start to cook
- Cooking classes run for around 4 hours and after the lesson you’ll sit down together to enjoy the meal you’ve learned to cook accompanied by local wines from the region
What Will I Learn?
- Courses concentrate on the cuisine of the region: its meats, vegetables, fresh herbs and traditional desserts
- Your chef will teach you to be creative and cook with confidence
- You’ll learn ‘master-chef’ cooking techniques and food presentation skills to the highest standards in a fun and friendly environment
- At the start of your course, Chef Jean-Marc will discuss the daily menu and what you will cover during your one day French cooking course
Sample French Menus
Dishes vary according to the season and what food is available but may include:
- Carré d'agneau rôti, jus brun parfumé à la sauge et légumes de printemps (Roasted rack of lamb, flavoured with sage and spring vegetables)
- Velouté de petits pois aux saveurs coco et mousse de mangue (Pea velouté flavoured with coconut and mango mousse)
- Velouté de potimarron vanillé, trompettes de la mort et foie gras de canard poêlé (Velvety vanilla-flavoured pumpkin soup, wild mushrooms and pan-sautéed duck foie gras
- Lemon verbena crème brûlée
- Praline mousse and caramelized walnuts
- Local wines are carefully chosen to accompany the food you’ve learned to cook
- Dietary requests can be catered for including vegetarians if advised before booking
About Chef Jean-Marc Villard
- Chef Jean-Marc is friendly and easy going and speaks excellent English
- His long list of accomplishments includes experience at Alexadrin - a one star Michelin restaurant and Oasis - a three star Michelin restaurant
- Jean-Marc also worked for a number of years with the famous Lyonnais chef Paul Bocuse
- With a wealth of experience, Jean-Marc was named one of the finalists in the ‘Best Professionals of France’ in 2000
Transfer To And From Lyon Centre
- You can book an optional return transfer at a small extra cost to take you from the centre of Lyon to the Chef’s house, this can be added at the time of booking
Turn a holiday in France a truly memorable event as you go learn to cook in Lyon at Chef Jean-Marc’s beautiful home for a holiday with a difference.