About the location
This unique trekking centre has the Alpujarra hills and Sierra Nevada mountains right on the doorstep offering a wide choice of easy hacks right through to challenging trail rides in this spectacular area of Southern Spain.
Your host and riding teacher Sarah established the riding centre back in 1993. Since then it has grown to become one of the leading and most well-known equestrian centres in Andalucia. Due to the stunning countryside and mountain trails, trekking is a big focus here and you can ride to your heart’s content.
The riding centre is a few minutes from the pretty spa town of Lanjaron bursting with Moorish influences. People come here to drink the water which is said to contain minerals for eternal youth. Nearby is Orgiva, a busy market town with bustling tapas bars and small streets to discover.
Accommodation depends on the course you’ve booked but everyone spends at least 2 nights at the pretty Spanish farmhouse accommodation ‘Casa del Viento’ which is surrounded by olive trees, oranges, almonds and flowers and boasts a swimming pool, sun terrace, barbecue area, sun beds and stunning views over the village and mountains. Your welcoming host Sarah lives next door with her family and during the hot summer evenings, Sarah will often host paella nights, tapas evenings and barbecues for the guests.
The beautiful and extremely diverse land of the Alpujarras ranges from pine forests and alpine meadows, wooded valleys and gorges, to almond, olive and orange groves. The flora and fauna of the Alpujarras is spectacular with a fantastic range of views and scenery.
You’ll follow old moorish mule paths and valleys where the horse, mule or oxen still pull the plow and thresh the harvest. Each day of the ride you’ll pass through different terrain; from mountain pastures and pine forests to almond and olive groves.
Take the opportunity to not only discover spectacular landscapes and awe-inspiring scenery, but also a culture where tradition remains very much part of everyday life.
Novices and children are welcome, as are single travellers and these horse riding holidays make fantastic singles holidays. For the more experienced riders, there are challenging trails on offer in the glorious mountain scenery of the Sierra Nevada.
All horses are fully trained to be ridden either western style or traditional style. With between 15-30 Andalucian, Arab and Percheron horses from 14 to 16h to choose from (depending on the time of year you travel) you will find a suitable horse whatever your level from complete beginner to advanced rider.
Whatever your level or the pace of riding, taking a horse riding holiday here in the Sierra Nevada mountains is one of the best riding opportunities Spain has to offer.
- Located around 1.5 hours by bus from Granada airport in the Sierra Nevada mountains
- Around 3 hours from Malaga by public transport (less by car)
- Stunning scenery with views across to Africa
- Pass through different terrain each day of your ride
- Chance to stay in traditional mountain cottages for those staying longer than 2 nights
- Swimming pool at Casa del Viento surrounded by olive trees and citrus groves
- Friendly and welcoming family run Spanish farmhouse accommodation with great local food
- Many vegetables grown in the garden around Casa del Viento
- Bar and barbecue area, sunbeds and terrace at Casa del Viento
- Ride for up to 8 hours each day if you wish
- Plenty of opportunities to canter and gallop
- Ride up to altitudes of 2000 metres in the mountains
- 1200m above the spa town of Lanjaron where the water is said to contain minerals for eternal youth
- Near to the busy market town of Orgiva boasting many bustling tapas bars
- Visit the amazing Moorish castle of Lanjaron.
- Casa del Viento accommodation provides Wi-fi
- Your hosts have cats and dogs who come into communal areas